Language Translator

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Summer Solstice and a cup of HOT Coffee!"

photo taken by suzanne * May 25, 2011

Today marks the first day of summer, I guess, for most of us.  But, here, in Texas, we have already experienced a sample of what's to come.  We've been graced with 104 degree temperatures, and no rain...until last nite.  And down it came.  I'm not sure how much we got, but I woke up at 3:30 am and walked thru the house looking out the windows and marveling at the sight and sound of it. I wasn't even mad about it, or gumping that it would only give me a bad hair day-I could suffer ONE day of spaghetti hair for the stuff that was coming down out there!   You see the pink roses in the vase above?  Well, they thanked the nite of fresh rain and bliss-now, maybe I'll get a few more of them.  And it seems as tho I will still enjoy a cup of hot coffee, even in the hot Texas summer!

One of my favorite blogmates, Susan, who hails from Australia, of 'this n that', also enjoys a great cup of coffee.  She and her husband, "MD", create their own coffee designs at 'Coffee Art'.  You will find both of her blogs on my sidebar... easy to get to!  Or...you can click on her blog button that is located on my sidebard with the beautiful bird that chirps "this n that" and go directly to her blog.  Susan generously sent me a blog award the other day for my garden blog, and, I would like to give her a proper thanks!  This blog is young yet, and I have far to go, but I am grateful for the followers and readers who have stopped by.

Thank You Susan!

AND, upon receiving one of these awards, you're supposed to reveal 7? things about yourself that may not be well known...like what, I ask?  Don't we all know enough?  OK, OK, I'll try!

1.)  You already know, I save the best for last...that means what?  It's kind of like, "Give me the bad news first!"  But one thing, is food.  I love salad, and will only eat a small portion early on.  Then I eat the rest of my meal, and treat the salad as a desert.  I think a lot of people do that, tho.  And of gift giving, I save the best gift to give for last-not unusual either...hmmm!

2.)  I like 1950's and 1960's rock n roll music...Tommy James and the Shondells, The Temptations, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, James Brown,  Otis Redding, and any of them who could do music I could dance to.  Anyone remember the Stroll?

3.)  I go barefoot a lot, wear t-shirts and jeans, and sometimes go bra-less (shhh! too much info?) Nothing to see here!

4.)  I swear, I'm running out of things- I "swear"?  Ok, I, too, am guilty of under-my-breath cursings!  Especially when I am cut off by SOMEONE TALKING ON A CELL PHONE, WHO SWERVES TOWARD ME ON THE STREET!"  But, I have made it a habit of doing so without moving my lips until the culprit has passed and cannot READ MY LIPS!

5.)  I am lefthanded.  Does this mean I'm in my right mind?

6.)  I love to watch classic car shows and auctions on TV.  And I watch a show called "Chasing Classic Cars" where this guy will go almost anywhere to buy an old 'woody', or something unusual.  Most of the time he takes them to an auction, or actually has a client who wants purchase the auto.

7.)  And, I do like to design and print greeting cards, calendars, and other items like business cards and flyers.

***
Phew!  Is that over?  Thank You again, Susan!

So, without further adieu, I will move on.  I tried to put a poll on this evening, but the gadget bar would not accept my closing date, or any other date for that matter.  Never fear, I will try again later, or tomorrow.  In the meantime, I am working on a new garden story and beginning to recuperate from my ghastly cold!

Thanks to all who have stopped by...HI MOM!

***
"What dreadful hot weather we have!
It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."
~Jane Austen


12 comments:

  1. How nice of your blogger friend to send you a blog award. That is funny about how you eat salads...and no, I don't know anyone else who does that!!

    Glad you got the refreshing rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, congrats on the award...you deserve it for sure! and for telling us all a little more about YOU! i can agree on a few things...i mean...we're ALIKE on a few things...like the bra-less thing. i think if we can go without...then do it! they're so damn uncomfortable! and jeans and t-shirts...about all i wear!
    i'm HALF left handed...write with right but do all else with left!
    i love salad too...if sam wasn't such a meat and potato kinds guy...i could live on salads!

    it's too hot here too...too early...guess we're not as hot as you, since we're just hovering around 100...give or take a few degrees...
    UGH. too damn hot...for someone who sweats! like me!

    seeya! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, I like your new profile picture. I eat salad almost everyday. But with a meal, I do save it-move my dinner plate away and put the salad in front of me like I'm starting a new meal. Don't know why. Hope you're doing ok...thank you for taking time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I can speed-shift with my righthand and crochet...all else lefthanded. I may have spelled desert wrong...did you catch it? (dessert). Just noticed a little while ago.

    And, yes, jeans and t-shirts rule! I think we have some 'hippiesh' things in common. And, I could live on salads too. But I do like chicken. Good to hear from you -thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, lovely to catch up with you again! All that lovely rain must've been a relief - even if it is warm/hot! I was about to ask if you have high humidity, but I just realised that if you get spaghetti-hair (ha ha), then, yes, the humidity must be awful. Your garden will love it all though :D)

    Thank you very much for your kind mention of our blogs, you're a very generous person. It's fun meeting such interesting people, such as yourself, through them. Even better when we can share mutual interests ... such as our love of a good cup of coffee ;-) Glad to read that, even in the Texan heat, you still love your coffee Susan!

    It was beaut reading your 7 things ... you have fabulous taste in music :D)
    Going bra-less is wonderful... I join you and Laura and admit/confess/joyfully shout that I too go without - many times. So much more comfortable. Love that you mentioned it - rock on Susan ;-)
    When I read your love of bare feet, I immediately understood... it's bliss isn't it. I had to wear 'proper' shoes for 18 months because of foot arch probs - it was like my feet felt claustrophic. Now I'm back to nudie feet and loving it.

    I enjoy visiting both your blogs Susan - you have your own distinctive style and enthusiasm for life. I also thoroughly enjoy your style of gardening - the remarks you make, and the way you approach certain problems. Someone who lovingly tends her garden and protects tender plants from the winter cold as you do - has a lot of style. I was amazed at the work you did moving those plants in to the shed over winter!

    Cheers for now and I hope you're feeling a lot better by now :D)

    p.s. loved the Jane Austen quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am down as a Follower, your blog doesn't seem to be coming up on my blog roll, so I'm sorry that I haven't been over :( I love all that music that you mentioned as well. Happy days! Oh, there will be something for you on my blog tomorrow :) It was really interesting reading those things about you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Thisisme. So glad you came by. You are on my sidebar as a follower, it's hard to say lately why it won't pop up on your list, and I see a new picture from you on my reading list...will pop over to look. I do enjoy your blog and I think it's cool that we from different parts of the world enjoy the same music-we're all not different at all, huh? It's so good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, glad you made it back. Yeah, coffee and bare feet. I'm glad we ladies went from pantyhose to no hose at all some years back. We had to wear pantyhose to work-and finally, us women won out. NO ONE wears them anymore, other than the black opaque ones in winter, which I like. I gave my old panthose to Karo last year to tie up the tomato plants with-Haha! I did end up at the doctor today, just couldn't quit coughing. She gave me a shot, and inhaler, cough syrup and antibiotics. She said it could have developed into pneumonia. I'm glad I went...already starting to feel better. So nice of you to come by. Sure like your wheatbag idea. I would like to try it on my husband. He has bad allergies and sometimes his legs hurt. Could be what he needs! Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan, had a bit of trouble posting a comment a moment ago, so you may get 2!!

    Glad you went to the Dr... to get all that done to you, you must've been in bad shape! Good wishes and take care :D)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good afternoon to you Susan...I did get this comment earlier, but had to go back to bed for a while. I'm just sore from the coughing, but it seems to be better, and the heat doesn't help. I hope to be back in the swing of things in a few days. Thank you for your good wishes-have a great, cool weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from Texas as well!
    You are SO right about the heat...Awful! I Also listened to the last rainfall roll in with it;s wonderful thunder...Wish it would rain again!
    Happy 4th of July...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Donna in Texas! So nice to hear from a neighbor...yes, we're all praying for some more cool rain.

    Thank you for stopping by, and welcome any time. Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

What is your favorite flower today? Stop by and say hello!