Language Translator

Friday, March 13, 2020

2020 Springs Ahead With Color!

~Roses along the San Antonio Riverwalk
photo by Suzanne * March 2020

Hello, my dear blogmates and welcome all readers, and gardeners.  I apologize for my extended absence (really extended, haha!).  Sometimes we need extra down time to regroup and get motivated to jump back in the game.

I wanted to come by, dust off this blog and see if I can lift a few spirits with some recent photos taken just last week!

* courtesy of Yahoo images

Monday morning, Grandson Scootie and I hit the road from Fort Worth, Texas, heading due south.  Of course, it had to start drizzling and stayed with us for most of our trip.  As we approached San Marcos, we noticed a heavy fog hovering over the city and continuing on down the interstate.  Fortunately, the fog didn't impede my driving sight too much.  Since Scootie is too young to drive (or get a job), he got some good shots of the fog.


* photo by Scootie

After arriving in San Antonio, safely, around 2:45pm, we found our room and headed for the famous Riverwalk.  We jumped right on a riverboat and went downstream.

The flowers and plantings were simply gorgeous along the way.



~Pansies
* photo by Suzanne * San Antonio Riverwalk



* St. Anthony of Padua along the river bank * photo by Suzanne



* Are these trees tall, or WHAT?
~ photo by Suzanne

***  ON TO THE ALAMO ***

After a good night's sleep, Scootie and I did a little shopping, then made our way to the Alamo.  There were plenty of gardens here, and some great history.

Below is a memory fountain with placards on the sides naming Davy Crockett, and Jim Bowie.  There are two other names, but the crowd made it hard for me to get around and take photos of their placards.


* Fountain with memorial placards * Crockett
~Photos by Suzanne





* Schefflera, Fern, and other large plantings, canopied by an old Oak Tree
~photo by Suzanne



* I have no clue what this is, but it was so bright and pretty!
~photo by Suzanne



* Here we have a palm garden
~photo by Suzanne


***  Believe it or not...this soldier was a real guy!
He got up and moved AFTER I took his picture!

~ photo by Suzanne

And, here is the Alamo itself.  Looks kind of small, but there is a lot of history and information inside the building.  It was a nice visit.


~photo by Suzanne

***
I hope you enjoyed the tour of Alamo and San Antonio gardens as much as I did.  I know there are more magical gardens in San Antonio to see, but I was thoroughly impressed with the surroundings in this area.

***

Thank you for coming by.  I hope to come back soon with more of MY Texas gardens delights.  We aren't even upon the first day of Spring, yet so many plants are blooming now.  

***
Please stop in and say hello if you get the chance...I would love to hear from you.  Be safe, and stay healthy.  
I know we're having a great health scare right now, so, be careful out there.



See you next time!  Be kind, love, and laugh a lot! 💟

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Suzanne!

    I was pleasantly surprised to see My Texas Gardens atop my reading list last evening. Still feeling rather poorly, I decided to get some sleep before attempting to read and comment.

    The first thing that jumped out at me was the colorful lavender flowers shown in your header. Are they sweet peas?

    I was getting ready to email you and ask about your trip with Scootie to see The Alamo. I'm glad you filled me in. I'm sorry you needed to navigate through drizzle and fog to get there, and happy to know you arrived safely.

    Mrs. Shady and I love to explore cities, and we would have enjoyed that riverboat tour. Those Riverwalk flowers are indeed a gorgeous sight as are the majestic palms and statue. I hope Scootie found his visit to The Alamo both fun and educational and that he was excited to learn about famous men like Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie. I'm sure you remember the TV series devoted to the lives and adventures of both legends. A lifelong plant lover, I would have appreciated the opportunity to linger awhile under that old oak tree and gaze at the large specimens of Schefflera and Fern. That bush with the bright yellow flowers is beautiful. Maybe someone can help us identify it. The nicely manicured palm garden is another wonderful spot. It must have startled you and Scootie when what you thought was a statue of a soldier got up and moved around. :)

    My goodness, I agree. I pictured The Alamo as a much larger and taller structure! I'm sure it was depicted that way in movies and television shows over the years. I'm thrilled that you and Scootie had a chance to visit this historic site and see the marvelous gardens of San Anton.

    Regarding that cartoon, we can tell it is spring in Florida because when "lovebug" season begins. For a couple of weeks the mating insects hang in the air in tremendous numbers and splatter on your car's windshield, grill and bumper as you drive. Their juices can erode your car's paint-job, so it is important to remove them a.s.a.p.

    It's great to see a new MTG post, dear friend Suzanne. Stay safe and well. I'll be connecting with you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady, I'm going to try this again! We're having another drizzly day, which is okay with me! It has gotten cooler as the day wears on. It was 64 when I got up, and, now is 55. The flowers on my header picture are Iris. They were starting to bloom early, and some didn't make it as a result of some very cold nights last month. We always had them at home while I was growing up.

      I'm glad we hit San Antonio early in the week, to escape any heavy rainfall, which is what we got yesterday (nearly two inches). Our last night, we ate out on the Riverwalk sidewalk and was visited by too may pigeons! The food was delicious, though!

      The Riverwalk and Alamo was a real treat, and Shawn was as excited as I. There are various rooms and a few outdoor buildings at the Alamo. They have a small scale model showing the grounds that covered the Alamo during that time. A staff member showed us the canon areas where Bowie and Crockett were each stationed during the siege. The grounds were flanked with many plantings of ferns, and different types of palms.

      Scootie didn't want to leave yet. He got to swim several times while we were there. I set aside time for his swimming, as we have NO public pools in our town. He just learned to swim last summer when we went to Kansas. I'm happy he is more confident now.

      Thank you so much, Shady for coming by...I hope you are up and around feeling like a dance or two, soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness me Suzanne, I'm so sorry I didn't leave a comment. I did visit right back when you first published this post too.
    I love how you and Scootie went on a holiday together - a really nice and special time for both of you. You saw and did a lot of great things together and made lots of happy times to be looked back on.
    Its always lovely to see you pop up in blogland. Hope things are going ok for you in these different times. One day at a time I guess... all the best and lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete

What is your favorite flower today? Stop by and say hello!